On Friday's i go into the school to hand out treats to the kids that are wearing the school colors as they are going into the lunch room for lunch. (one of the fun things about being on PTA--I'm aka the candy lady, Sam's mom, Ethan's mom--no one really knows my name). Sam's class had come through and i had just finished telling Sam to sit down for the third or forth time to eat his lunch, when one of the aides for the school came up to me saying "they want you in the office." Immediately my mind went to Ethan just praying he wasn't in trouble or that he wasn't sick. I walked into the office and saw Ethan standing there with one of the secretaries holding an ice pack on his forehead. Whew, maybe it wasn't so bad, he wasn't in trouble after all. Then the secretary moved the ice pack. HOLY COW!! Ethan had a golf ball growing out of his head that was all kinds of purple and red. Seriously looked like a golf ball was shoved under his skin, sticking straight out at least an inch. At that point Ethan had only shed a few tears but as soon as he saw me and i had him in my arms he lost it. I told the secretary i was going to take him home and she gave me a paper about concussions that is required of them for every head injury. I brought him home and had him keep an ice pack on his forehead for an hour. Durring that time i got the story from Ethan.
His class was at p.e. and they were playing basketball out on the play ground. He was going down for a rebound when Dillon, one of his friends, was coming right behind him. Dillion is a big guy. Keep in mind that Ethan is the average kid in his 5th grade class. Dillon is my height and heavier than me. As Dillon was coming up behind Ethan he tripped over Ethan's feet causing Ethan to fall and Dillon fell right on top of Ethan. We figure that having a kid Dillons size kept Ethan from getting more road rash than what he had. But it also caused him to whack his head that much harder. It wasn't until we got home that Ethan even got to see how big the bump on his head was. That convinced him that he wanted to keep the ice on it. After a while Ethan was sitting at the kitchen table eating his sandwich saying, "well now I'm missing this, and I'm missing this and in a few more minutes we're going to be doing this." I knew he was good. So i took him back to the school. Most kids would be happy to call it a day and stay home, but Ethan loves school and didn't want to miss any of it. Even if his head did hurt. Plus i think he was happy to show off his shiner.
The picture doesn't even do it justice. I should have gotten a side shot just to show how far out it still was sticking out after the hour of ice.
3 comments:
It's amazing how much of a beating a kid's head can take and not get split wide open. That is HUGE!! It's also funny how brave a kid can be until he sees his mom and she has that "Are you going to be alright baby angel" look on her face. That can make anyone break down. I know. I've been there.
Wow! That is a HUGE bump on the noggin. Glad to hear Ethan's okay. What a brave, good boy. Cute too--LOVE those big, brown eyes! 8)
Holy Egg! Brave boy!
Post a Comment