Being a mom of 3 active boys i am surprised (and knocking on wood, really hard) and lucky enough to say we've survived this far without: stitches, trips to the ER, and broken bones. That is until Sunday. We were over to granma and papa Young's house for Sunday dinner. Sam and the other kids were playing on the play set having a great time. Sam however decided he wanted to see what would happen if he let go of the swing while he was swinging. i had glanced over just a second to see that he had let go but was in the process of turning away when he fell (so i didn't actually see his fall). I quickly turned again when my brain processed what i had just see him doing to see him running with a panic hurt face. He came running up to where i was sitting and had to pass papa on the way and papa had seen him hit the ground so he tried to comfort Sam and rubbed his arm to help him shake it off. Sam was trying really hard to be brave and not cry but as he was trying to get to me and papa had a hold of his arm he tried to pull free saying "i just want my mom!" I knew he was really hurt. Sam's pretty tough, but when he got to my arms he broke down and just cried. I held him and tried to comfort him for a minute before he was ready to let me check his arms out. His arms looked fine and seemed to be ok. He said they hurt and we figured he maybe strained a muscle or two in the landing. He asked if he could just sit in my lap and have me hold him. We sat there visiting and talking for another 30-45 minutes before we headed out. Sam didn't cry about his arms anymore and we went on our way. He said they hurt but they seemed ok. Fast forward to Monday afternoon when i was looking at his one arm cause he was telling me it still hurt some. I was only around his wrist that he said really hurts so i thought that it still could be that he twisted it. We headed to the grocery store to get a few things and it was as we were walking around that i noticed how protective he was about his arm. He was using his whole body to shield it. Then when we got home i noticed that he wasn't putting any weight on it he would hold it close to his body when he sat down. I decided to call the dr.'s office just to see what they would say. I know I'm a paranoid parent and i call at the first sign of a sniffle and cold and i try not to be, but i am. The receptionist that i talked to said she did that to her son and made him wait 3 days before she took him in and it was a small hairline/green tree fracture. She, like myself, and many others I'm finding out, are going for "mothers of the year". The x-ray tech was gone for the day so she scheduled me to bring Sam in Tuesday morning. Sam when i talked to him about it was totally excited about getting an x-ray of his arm. Even somewhat excited that he might have a cast. So to sum it up. His arm was broken, just a small break by the growth plate so it should heal quickly. Sam got to pick his cast and did great holding still all morning for the initial visit with the dr. and for the x-ray itself and then for the cast. He was pretty proud of his cast when we first got home and was showing everyone that would make eye contact with him. Tuesday evening Sam with some remorse in his voice asked "when do i get to take this thing off?" The novelty of a cast wore off really fast. I do have to give Sam a bit of credit--he was really tough and didn't complain about his arm. He only said anything about it when i would ask. And all he would say is that it still hurt some. So even though he isn't really as indestructible as he thinks he is, he is pretty dang tough!
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
So the rumors are true. Silly Sambino. Hope you are feeling better really soon.
Love the matching shirt! Have you picked up matching ones for the next month or two? Sam looks more like Ethan in this pictures than I have ever seen him before.
Poor kid! How long does he have to keep it on?
4 weeks. the break was near the growth plate so it should heal pretty quick.
I can't believe you kept it from me. Pretty soon we will have to start hanging out again. I also loved the pictures of your California trip.
Tell Sammy Uncle Muk feels his pain. That's how I broke my arm too except for that I cried like a little girl for a couple of hours until Dad got back from wherever he was to take me to the instacare. I like his cast.
Hi, Lori. I'm Blake's cousin on the Long side. I found your Blog through Hailey. Your boys are so dang cute and hilarious! I seriously laughed like crazy the whole time I looked at your Blog! Sam is very tough! I'm glad he won't have to have his cast on too long.
Post a Comment