Friday, April 24, 2009

To infinity and beyond!

Both Ethan and Sam are in cub scouts so when the time comes for space derby or pinewood derby we have twice the fun. Right?!? Well we do. On our first time of having space derby when Ethan had just started scouts we didn't know that we needed to have the rocket done.....i know we were kind of slow. We thought they were doing it with the boys during the week. So Ethan had the award for "O natural" since it was only shaped and glued, not painted or nothin. Anyhow we knew better this time and the boys each designed and carved their own. We did "help" with the painting since we thought we had one more week before pack meeting. (those pack meetings just sneak up on you!) Ethan choose a camo paint style and called his rocket "Navy." Yes, I know, we tried to tell him that camo went with Army, but he had it all figured out so we didn't talk him out of it completely. Sam went with the narcissistic approach and had it all painted black with the star and his initials on the side, but he did call it "Dark Star." Ryan was sorely disappointed when Sis. Butler dropped off the kits a month ago and didn't leave one for him. He kept asking me "Mom, where's sis. cox?" I said "sis. Butler dropped them off, not sis. Cox." Ryan still persisted "Mom, where's sis. Cox. I need to tell her she didn't give me one." I told him when he was 8 he would get to do one. Ryan being the smart boy he is, quickly said "Well, mom, Ethan isn't 8." I said no, but he is in cub scouts still so he gets one too. So Ryan and I sat on the sidelines and cheered. It was still fun. Ethan's first try shot right off the rig he had wound it so tight. Navy wanted to take flight for sure! To infinity and beyond! Sam took two tries at it, and the second was better than the first. Both boys loved every minute of it, and can't wait till the next derby!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I'm just glad I read this...Max's Rocket Derby is next week....guess I have some work to do. This is our first!